Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"Spinning on that dizzy edge."



School has started yet again, and this semester I'm taking a couple of interesting Philosophy classes, both of which have made me think about the way I look at life, my own life and life in general, but then again I suppose that is the point of Philosophy isn't it?

One of these classes is titled "Ethics & Personal Relationships," this is obviously about personal relationships, and the ways in which we humans handle these relationships. The few classes that I've had so far were basically group therapy sessions, which I don't see as a bad thing because after all, who couldn't use some group therapy? The other class is a class on Feminism, but for the most part is also about relationships, the dynamic of the male-female relationship and how it is influenced by society and the power structure.

Both of these classes have made me think a lot about some things that have been common place in the television shows that I've been investing my time in lately, and how they relate to my life. Almost everything is rooted in truth, some kind of truth, past, present or otherwise. It is nearly impossible to create a thought or image that does not at least bear some resemblance to something that already exist, or once existed. This is Philosophical thinking that crosses paths with Political Science, and with that said I will get to the point. The cliches that are so commonly displayed in television shows, pertaining mostly to love and relationships that most of us publicly roll our eyes, shrug off, or worse shutter are obviously based on feelings that humans actually have. Most of us do not want to admit that we would like to fall into these cliches, because we are far to macho and independent for all that, but at the very least if you don't secretly close your eyes, look up to the sky and wish for someone to love, and for them to love you as well, you will experience the feeling one day. If this never occurs to you I'm going to assume that you are either the Tin Man, or for various reasons such as being a complete douche, or being inhumanly fat and/or ugly, no one has ever been able to love you.

With this said I would like to admit to the world that I often think about these cliches, and I daydream about how my life would play out in situations like the ones you see on prime time television. I am grateful to know the feeling of love, the feeling of true love, but I am taken aback by the ways in which this emotion plays on my rationality and clarity of mind. Far too often I drift into thoughts of coming home to the same person everyday, and feeling the same sense of happiness I did the first time I laid eyes on them, or the first time we kissed. These feelings have went to the extent of imagining children running around, in part due to that dream girl. To say the least, it is a phenomenal feeling to be able to rationally imagine, and wholeheartedly appreciate the idea that you, along with another human being would donate 50% of each other to create an independent creature, with legs, to roam around this evil land we call Earth. And since I finally saw Super Size Me today, I have officially decided that my children of the future will never know the taste of McDonalds, NEVER!

In closing, love is a dangerous emotion. Wait... that wasn't really the point of this post... was it? *Shrugs*

1 comment: